Providence Water Supply Board
After completion of a strategic planning project that did not specifically include performance measures, and before initiating a major asset management effort, Providence Water desired to consider their key performance measures and prepare for the development of a management dashboard that would enable them to efficiently evaluate performance relative to their strategic plan and management and community expectations. RFC was tasked with helping Providence Water develop key measures for each of the 10 Attributes of an Effectively Management Utility (Attributes) for inclusion on the dashboard.
The objectives of this project were:
- To identify the key performance measures utilizing the EUM framework
- To assess the availability of data and/or data sources
To identify the set of key performance measures for Providence Water, RFC utilized the EUM framework which is a comprehensive approach to help utilities respond proactively to both current and future challenges. The EUM process works to assure that a utility understands, measures, and addresses the 10 Attributes of an effectively managed utility. Key tasks that were completed include:
- Leading an initial management workshop to plan and schedule the project and to provide management education concerning EUM and performance measurement
- Working with management to assign Attribute champions and Attribute teams to help develop information concerning current measures and activities relating to the 10 Attributes
- Conducting an Attribute Workshop with management and the Attribute champions to identify the key performance measures within each attribute that could eventually be housed in a dashboard
- Documenting the results of the Attribute workshop and reviewing them with management to further refine the key performance measures that are valuable to senior management
- Working with Attribute Champions, Information Technology, and others to evaluate availability and location of data
As a result of this engagement, Providence Water has general specifications for a performance monitoring dashboard which, when completed, will enable timely and accurate measurement of:
- Achievement of strategic plan goal
- Performance relative to each of the 10 Attributes
- Status of other measures considered important to Providence Water management
With the availability of this information on an ongoing and timely basis, management will be able to monitor and evaluate performance to take quick action to improve operations, address problems, and provide information to the Board and other key stakeholders.
Rate Case Support
RFC has prepared expert testimony for the Providence Water Supply Board’s (Providence Water) two most recent filings before the Rhode Island Public Utility Commission (RIPUC). For RIPUC Docket No. 3832, RFC used the rate year revenue requirements developed by others and allocated costs to Providence Water’s customer classes which include three retail classes and several wholesale customers. In addition, we calculated both public and private fire protection charges. This filing, which was contested by the wholesale customers, resulted in rate increases ranging between 9% and 41%, depending on the class of customer. Providence Water’s most recent filing, RIPUC Docket No. 4061, is an abbreviated filing for which RFC prepared the revenue requirements and developed the proposed rates. This filing resulted in a Settlement Agreement between Providence Water, the Division of Public Utilities and Carriers and interveners in the rate case that allowed for a 5.9% increase in Providence Water’s rates.
Additionally, RFC assisted Providence Water with the preparation of a compliance filing to address the RIPUC’s order in Docket No. 3832 to present conservation rate options. Based on testimony provided by RFC staff, the RIPUC determined that the implementation of conservation rates was not in the best interest of Providence Water or its customers at this time.
RFC is assisting Providence Water with its current filing with the RIPUC. For this engagement we have prepared testimony and schedules in support of a requested rate increase.